Saturday 1 December 2012

Mirror Dance is up!

The Winter 2012 issue of Mirror Dance has gone up, and I'm thrilled that my short story, Goodnight, Sweet Lady, has been included in this issue! It's also fantastic to be published alongside L.C. Ricardo of Spinning Straw Into Gold, whose writing on and dedication to fairy tales I greatly admire. Make sure to have a look at all the wonderful work published, and if you like what you read then please leave a comment, however brief, as I know it will be appreciated by the authors.

Have a lovely weekend everyone, and enjoy the snow if you're lucky enough to be in the right part of the country for it!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for snow!

    I read your piece as soon the issue was released. Hamlet is one of my favorites among favorites: like, English lit. is my favorite, and of that Shakespeare is my favorite, and of him, Hamlet is my favorite. I ramble . . .

    That scene of Ophelia drowning in the river with her flowers makes such an impression that we are still finding things to say about it. But I hadn't before seen the (now obvious) potential for entwining it with folklore. Beautiful maiden . . . flowers . . . drowning in a body of water . . . your placement of a watery guardian was perfect and natural!

    But more than the fantasy element, the whole longing-for-upness of the story tweaks a sympathetic nerve, something all too familiar. That, I think, is at the heart of many fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, I really value your opinion. Its funny, what you've said about the links to folklore is something instinctive I felt but couldn't have put into words...
      I posted a comment on your piece at Mirror Dance, I think Megan has just authorised them to be viewed - it was so great to see a final draft of your story, I loved the extract you posted on your blog!
      Maybe we'll be in a magazine together again some day! xx

      Delete
  2. I love Mirror Dance. Congratulations, A.L.

    ReplyDelete